Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pride and Prejudice: Book Review

A page of history is worth a volume of logic. O. W. Holmes


pride and prejudice

View Image

Published 1813
Author Jane Austen

A book I read in the 12th grade. Certain people call this book a chick book, but I have to disagree with them since this book an interesting overall plot.

The book talks about a family known as the Bennet family about two parents trying to get their four daughters married. Around 19th Centery, manners, upbringing, morality, education and marriage in the society of the landed gentry in England.

Around this time, the main purpose for a man is to have money to gain respect from people. The main goal for woman is to get married with a man who has money.

The mom from the Bennet family wanted one of their daughters to get married so she could have a place to stay in case Mr, Bennet die.

The main charcter, Elizabeth Bennet believes there is more than just to marry a man and expect to be happy. There needs to be a connection or be in love or else the relationship will not be a happy one.

People around these parts are well mannered and people in our era should pay attention on what they might be saying.

She did not want to meet someone, but that all change until a man by the name of Fitzwilliam Darcy.
They both hated thier guts and every time they had an oppurtunity to make mockery of each other, they do their best to reduce thier respect with others.


Oddly enough, all this ended up being the good old chilche of everytime a woman and man fight each other, they seem to have a thing for each other.


They ended up loving each other, throughout all the odds and married each other.


My perspective: This is not one of those Twilight moments of a confused girl with unimaginative creautres, this is a book with common sense! I got to admit I was rather shocked to think that I was going to read a book about a family full of daughters who all want to find the perfect man. I thought it was going to be stale mainly for the reason of being a 1913 book. I began to read it (and after passing their wording) this was quite the book. The title of this book fits the theme well. Darcy was full of pride and Elizabeth was the prejuidce of against him. This was the main story line while the rest of the book is a side story about her other sister.


Nostalgic: This is a good book and I can remember the book pretty well (it has been over a year so that is a long time (well in my view). I would gladly reread this book if I had the chance, but I lost my book a long time ago. I will recommend it to anyone. Once again, it is not a twilight, this is better.


8/10


site used
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/pridprej.html

1 comment:

  1. The year of publication was 1813, not 1913.

    I'm actually pleased that you liked this book, and I too think that it has a wider appeal than to just women.

    The cliche of "man and woman fight then man and woman fall in love" is a very, very old one, going back to classical literature. Shakespeare was the one to make that type of plot popular in English literature (many of his comedies use this structure), but it was Jane Austen who really did outstanding things with it.

    ReplyDelete