Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Nes Review: Advance Wars (Also known as Famicom Wars)

All modern wars start in the history classroom.
Anonymous



FamicomWarsbox.png


Year: August 12, 1988
publisher: Nintendo


Famicom Wars is a turn-based tactics military game. Produced by Nintendo, it was released on August 12, 1988 for the Family Computer in Japan. It is the first game in the Wars series. This game is never released in  the U.S. It was only released  in Japan and somehow I manage to play this game.



Players take control of one of two warring nations, Red Star and Blue Moon. Both nations seek to establish turn-based dominance over each other. After selecting which stage to start the game and setting, the Red Star army is always given the first turn. The objective in each stage is to either conquer the enemy's headquarters or destroy all remaining enemy units in one turn. During each turn, the player is given a certain amount of funds which can be used to build factories, seaports, and airports in their command, as well as cities near their headquarters. Each unit has their own specialty and abilities, with ten land units (including two foot soldier units), four air units, and two sea units. Some units use fire power against the enemy, while others provide support to allies. Only foot soldier units are capable of conquering cities, which are used to repair or refuel damaged units. There are 15 maps available at the start of the game, with two secret ending maps dependent on if the player's nation when playing against the computer.
I played the Japanese version. To avoid confusion, I got a clip from the sequel that was released in the United States. 










This game is all about tactics. The player must think carefully when moving his or her units to avoid critical mistakes. In war, there is no second chance. I play this game and pretend the character's lives are at stake. I have to carefully plot out my movements in the battlefield while making sure little or no lives are lost within the war. Playing this type of game makes me question my own personality. Should I self-sacrifice someone for the greater good? Do I risk it all and perform a Blitzkerg on my enemy? Should I just nuke them? This game will make a player think for the appropriative time to play offensively or defensively. I have the feeling that this game made me think about my actions more carefully in real life. Call the idea crazy, but I believe this game gave me photographic memory because the game requires thinking ahead, looking back at previous battles, seeing what went wrong, and avoid repeating the same mistake. What do I remember? How certain units can be cheap and the game could use some balancing.


 There are already four games for the handhled system. I will recommend this game for people who are looking for a chess game with violence and a reason to save the world (gaming wise).



Look at this picture, imagine having the power to control an army. Feels like a dream, though trying to keep them all alive in a war is a different story
8/10 for those who will enjoy the concept and nothing else.
9/10 for the people who like tactics and nothing more.

site used:
http://www.siliconera.com/ds/famicomwarsds/050630.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment